I’m back from my month-long journey through Italy. I’m exhausted but inspired by all that we’ve experienced. I learned so much about people, places, art, history, and FOOD! Oh my gosh, so many good healthy and tasty tips on food. I can’t wait to share all of my pictures and new recipes with you, but I’m still recovering from all that travel so I decided to post something simple this week: my go-to-smoothie and my oldest son’s favorite smoothie. This smoothie is what I usually have for breakfast during the work week. We always have the ingredients in the freezer and refrigerator. And when in a rush to get out the door, this is the perfect solution for a healthy start to a busy day.
The simple ingredients are: romaine lettuce, bananas, frozen blue berries, frozen strawberries or a fruit mix containing strawberries, and a slither of lime. We buy hearts of romaine every weekend at Cosco. This lasts us throughout the week. The fruit, especially the slither of lime masks the taste of romaine lettuce. We keep frozen strawberries and blueberries in the freezer, and there are always bananas on the counter. It’s quick and easy to make and super-duper healthy. Here’s our simple recipe:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce
- 1 large banana
- 1 cup mixed frozen fruit
- 1 small slice (slither) of lime
- Add 1 cup of blueberries to the blender and turn on low. We use a Vitamix blender.
- Gradually add the romaine leaves.
- Add the banana.
- Add the lime.
- Mix until the smoothie is well blended.
- Add the last cup of frozen fruit.
- Note: Stick to this order when adding ingredients to the blender to keep your blender from jamming.
Stay tuned for more on Italy in a few days…