This yummy omelet is our go-to porch brunch almost every weekend. Warm or cold weather, James and I like to have a meal on the porch. Brunch is the best time to sit, eat, and listen to the birds. I love to try different combinations vegetables, and for the sides, I always try an assortment of fruit.I’ve never had a disappointment yet. Our favorite is the spinach, tomato, and pepper garden omelet with blood oranges and strawberries. And it was what we had today. Here is how I prepare it:
I start with the best eggs, free-range and usually hatched by chickens I know. HeeHee! Okay, not really. But, I am really picky with what I eat so I do make sure to buy quality, and if possible, I buy from local farmers. Also, I don’t really use this many in my omelet…it just looked better in the pictures.
Then, you need an assortment of vegetables and a little cheese. I buy organic vegetables, but whatever you have will do. I love, love, love spinach! Asparagus and broccoli really taste good, too. Oh, and don’t forget the avocado. It makes it so creamy and filling.
Put it all together and this is what you get: Yum, Yum, Yum.
Author: Dana Garner
- ½ small sweet onion, finely chopped
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ½ fresh jalapeño, seeds removed, finely chopped. (a few slices for garnish)
- 1-cup fresh spinach
- 5 large eggs
- ½ avocado, sliced in mini-bite size pieces
- ¼ cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced thin
- ½ cup cheese: blended with part skim mozzarella and cheddar
- Feta cheese (sprinkle on top according to taste)
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet. Add onions, yellow peppers, and jalapeños. Cook until tender. In the meantime, whip eggs in a bowl.
- When the onions are translucent, add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Pour eggs over vegetables and swirl around until the vegetables are covered with the egg. Cook until eggs are no longer liquid, but be careful not to overcook.
- Add cheese and avocado.
- When cheese melts, add sliced tomatoes. Salt and Pepper to taste. Fold over with a spatula.
- Slice into three servings. To make it pretty, don’t forget to garnish with the sliced peppers and tomatoes. Finally, add the Feta according to your taste.